Friday, December 5, 2008

Independent Films

As many of you know, there are many forums online that deal with independent film making. I belong to a few.
The ones that I'm usually on are:
But there are many others that have much information for the independent film maker. From time to time, I like to do a search and see what's out there.

Recently I found:
  • myProducer.tv : This site seems interested. It seems you can get a free membership to become a Hobbyist Filmmaker, but you would need to upgrade your membership to become Serious Filmmaker or a Professional Filmmaker. (they don't say how much it costs) The difference is the Serious Filmmakers can invite people to become cast/crew of your project and give you some management tools for your project. As a Professional Filmmaker, you are able to do more administrative/management functions, but mainly, you are able to accept donations and or Producers (investors) to your project and RAISE FUNDS FOR YOUR MOVIE. (I haven't joined yet, but it seems interesting. I am a little worried that they don't list how much it takes to upgrade your membership. For their exact breakdown of their features, please visit their site) 
  • Indieflix.com : Now this one sounds very exciting. It seems they let you self distribute your film. The beauty is that it is non-exclusive so you can shop your project elsewhere, and they give you a 70/30 slip. YES THAT IS 70% TO YOU!!! They let people buy your movie via DVD (suggested $9.95 for a feature and $5.95 for a short but you can set whatever you want) But I think they are adding a pay-per-view feature. (not sure about the cost?) Its free to enter, but your film has to be an "Official Selection" at a film festival. (thought, they make exceptions. yay!!!)
Hope you check out these sites, as I will be doing in the near future and try to use them to become a better Artist & Entrepreneur.

Thanks for reading,
Luis Sinibaldi

(note: for this and all posts on this blog, please verify information with said websites and/or company. I write what I understand to be the rules and requirements of the companies mentioned, but I leave the responsibility to you to verify that it is correct. Also, companies change their policy from time to time. I will not be updating this blog to reflect such changes.)

No comments: